Who doesn’t love a good Puerto Rico Nature Fact? Here are some of our favorites about the flora and fauna of Puerto Rico. If we missed one please comment and let us know!
Puerto Rico Nature Fact #1:
- Mona and Monito Islands are located between Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. These small islands are considered the Galápagos Islands of the Caribbean Sea. No other reef and offshore island habitat with such ecological uniqueness, invaluable habitat, and biological diversity within such a reduced surface area. For these reasons, Mona and Monito Islands is recognized by the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico as a Natural Reserve. The islands are a critical habitat for endangered marine turtles, sea birds and occasional migratory marine mammals. You can scuba dive there with private operators.
Puerto Rico Nature Fact #2:
- Wood from the native tree “El Guayacan” is so strong that it suffers less wear than steel.
Puerto Rico Nature Fact #3:
- The only native mammal in Puerto Rico is the bat.
Flora and Fauna Fact #4:
- Puerto Rico has 4 of 7 bio-luminescent bays in the world.
Flora and Fauna Fact #5:
- Puerto Rico has 18 coqui species of which 13 are found in El Yunque. Get your Coqui stuffed animal!
The flora and fauna of Puerto Rico is famous for its’ biodiversity. One of the best places to experience it is in El Yunque Rainforest. Stop by Caribbean Trading Company Store to get your souvenirs of the flora and fauna of Puerto Rico, including the famous coqui! Click on this link to Get Directions
If you are visiting the Rincon area to enjoy Mona Island, stop by and visit our store in Rincon to get all of your flora and fauna souvenirs of Puerto Rico. From magnets to t shirts, all of your souvenir fauna needs will be fulfilled. Get Directions.