Who doesn’t love a good Puerto Rico drinking fact? Here are some of our favorites about rum, liquor and anything drinking-related Puerto Rico. If we missed one please comment and let us know!
- Puerto Rico’s drinking age is 18. Drinking culture in Puerto Rico is more relaxed and not as strict as the United States.
- Rum is the national drink, and you can buy it in almost any shade. Puerto Rico is the world’s leading rum producer; 80% of the rum consumed in the United States hails from the island. You can visit the Bacardi Factory and the Ron Barrilito factory.
- The famous Pina Colada was founded in Puerto Rico. There is some argument about whether it was the Caribe Hilton or Barrachina restaurant, but either way for sure – it was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico – and then took over the world from there!
- Our beer cans come in 10oz. Why? Some say it is so that your drink stays cooler because you finish it faster.
- Puerto Rico makes a form of uncured rum called Pitorro which is our version of Moonshine. It is infused with fruits for months and is particularly popular during the holidays. You can purchase an artisan version of Pitorro and all of the best Puerto Rican rums at our stores in Rincon and Rio Grande.
One thought on “5 Fun Puerto Rico Drinking Facts”
Captain Morgan Rum used Puerto Rican Rum from Destilleria Serralles for their line of spice rums until 2012.
Cervercia de Puerto Rico produces Medalla Light (Puerto Rico’s Award-Winning Beer) , Silver Key and Magna as the only mass produce beer in the island. Medalla, is sold mostly in Puerto Rico, however is begining to be distributed in Florida, specially in Orlando and Tampa area.