This Orange and Strawberry Trifle Recipe is a favorite here in the Caribbean Trading kitchen. A trifle is a simple summery dessert consisting of a plain or sponge cake that has been soaked in a liquid (we prefer rum!) and then topped with layers of creams, custards, or jams. We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
Instructions on Making the Cake needed for the Orange and Strawberry Trifle Recipe:
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup CTC Blood Orange Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Zest of one orange
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter a Sheet Pan and set aside.
- Beat eggs & sugar in bowl with electric mixer on high until pale yellow and fluffy, Add remaining ingredients, flour, baking powder, orange zest, olive oil, milk, orange juice and vanilla until well combined.
- Spoon the batter into pan and smooth on top.
- Bake about 20 minutes until golden (top will split slightly), and a cake tester comes out clean when inserted. Transfer pan to rack and let cool.
- Cut into 1 x 1 inch pieces
Making the Orange Whip Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2½ tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1½ teaspoons orange zest
Place heavy cream and vanilla in a bowl. Whisk for about 30 seconds, until cream just starts to thicken. With motor running, gradually add the sugar and zest. Increase to speed 3 and beat until soft peaks form. Transfer to a separate bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Assembling the Orange and Strawberry Trifle:
Build the trifle:
- Start with an even layer of pound cake in the bottom of a 2-quart trifle dish or clear glass bowl.
- Spoon 1/3 of the Orange Whip cream onto the pound cake, gently press to force the in between the pound cake pieces, then smooth into an even layer.
- Top evenly with 1/3 of the strawberries, placing as many against the glass as possible for a beautiful presentation.
- Repeat with the layering twice more: pound cake, orange whip cream and strawberries, finishing with whip cream on top.
You can find this recipe on our Yummly Page as well so you can add it into your recipe box.