Who doesn’t love a good Puerto Rico history fact? Here are some of our favorites facts about the history of Puerto Rico. If we missed one please comment and let us know!
Puerto Rico History Fact #1:
- Gothic churches are rare in the New World, but Puerto Rico has two: Porta Coeli, built in 1606 in San German and San Jose, built in the 1530’s in Old San Juan.
Puerto Rico History Fact #2:
The first shot fired by the United States in World War I was in Puerto Rico and not in Europe. It was fired by Lt. Teofilo Marxuach when an armed German supply ship tried to force it’s way out of the bay.
- Learn more about the Military History of El Yunque
Puerto Rico was taken by the U.S. as spoils of war following the defeat of Spain in the Spanish-American war of 1898.
El Morro, officially known as Fuerte San Felipe de Morro, has stood guard over San Juan Bay for more than four centuries and is one of the largest forts built by the Spaniards in the Caribbean.
- Plan your visit to this Fort by going to the National Park Service website.
San Juan is the oldest city in US territory, founded in 1521 by Ponce de Leon.
- You can learn more about San Juan before your visit on our blog: Old San Juan Tourist Guide
- Get the Old San Juan Christmas Ornament as a memento of your visit