At first glance this may not seem like the most exciting blog post, but we have found in requests by visitors to the store, that this Puerto Rico Rice and Beans food recipe is one of the dishes that most people want to recreate in their home and are unable to do so. There are many variations to this recipe, and many substitutions that can be made, but here is the Crew’s favorite basic recipe and some tips and tricks to boot:
- 1 tablespoon sofrito sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can gandules (pigeon peas)
- 4 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 4oz. Ham, Spam, or Chorizo, cubed (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package sazon goya
- 6 -10 pitted green olives (optional)
- 2 cups white rice, long grain (rinsed)
- 4 cups water
Directions to Make Puerto Rico Rice and Beans:
- Rinse the starch off the rice until the water is more clear than cloudy.
- Pour the oil into a Caldera (a large wide pot)
- Add sofrito and dissolve on medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add ham or meat (optional) and fry for 1 more minute.
- Add tomato sauce and heat through for 30 seconds.
- Add sazon, salt and water and bring to a boil.
- Add pigeon peas and olives and boil 5 minutes. You can use red or pink kidney beans as an alternative.
- Add rice and mix around with spoon once.
- Bring to boil on HIGH heat until water has evaporated to the rice line.
- Lower temperature to low/medium low and cover TIGHT with lid. A tight seal is needed so you may want to use aluminum foil.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes.
Liked this Puerto Rico Rice and Beans recipe? Join the Crew and Start the Journey! Connect with Us for News, Events, Lifestyle, and all things Caribbean by joining our Newsletter – Click Here to Join or find us on Facebook or Instagram.