Makes 12 Tostones
This typical Puerto Rico recipe is easy to do and a great way to bring a splash of the Caribbean to your party. These stuffed tostones are a great appetizer to serve at any get-together with friends and family. You can customize them by stuffing them with your favorite meats and veggies. This recipe stuffs them with a traditional picadillo (ground beef mixture) but you can stuff them with any mixture you like from veggies to fish to chicken.
- 3 green plantains
- 2 cups shredded cheese (any variety)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Tostonera for mashing plantains (can be found here)
- ½ cup diced tomatoes or ¼ cup fresh cilantro, crushed (for garnish)
- Peel green plantains and cut into 2’ barrels.
- Fry in vegetable oil at 325°F (medium-high) for about 7 min or until golden brown.
- Use a tostonera to mash plantain barrels into cup shapes.
- Fry the cups again at 365°F (high) about 10 seconds at a time to get crispy, but don’t let them brown too much, since you will bake them later.
- Take cups out and set on paper towels to allow oil to drain off.
- Stuff each cup full with picadillo and top with shredded cheese.
- Preheat oven to 300°F
- Bake Stuffed Tostones for 20-30 min, until the tops are browning.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5-7 min before serving.
- Garnish with diced tomatoes or fresh cilantro.
How to Make Picadillo:
1 lb. lean ground beef
¼ cup ready-made sofrito
½ cup diced onions
½ cup diced bell pepper (green and yellow or red)
½ cup chopped cilantro
2 recao leaves
¼ cup sliced olives
1 tbsp. capers
salt and pepper to taste
4 oz. tomato sauce
- Cook the ground beef with sofrito, onions, peppers, cilantro, and recao until the meat is done.
- Add the olives, capers, salt and pepper, and tomato sauce. Cook another 5 minutes or so to cook down any extra liquids. That’s it.
This article was written by Captain Tim and the Crew of Caribbean Trading Company.
Liked this article? Join the Crew and Start the Journey! Connect with Us for News, Events, Lifestyle, and all things Caribbean by joining our Newsletter – Click Here to Join