This typical Puerto Rico recipe is easy to do and a great way to bring a splash of the Caribbean to your party. These stuffed tostones are a great appetizer to serve at any get-together with friends and family. You can customize them by stuffing them with your favorite meats and veggies. This recipe stuffs them with a traditional picadillo (ground beef mixture) but you can stuff them with any mixture you like from veggies to fish to chicken.
Makes: 12 Tostones
Directions to Make Stuffed Tostones:
- Peel green plantains and cut into 2’ barrels.
- Fry in vegetable oil at 325°F (medium-high) for about 7 min or until golden brown.
- Use a tostonera to mash plantain barrels into cup shapes.
- Dip them in a mixture of water and Adobo Seasoning
- Fry the cups again at 365°F (high) about 10 seconds at a time to get crispy, but don’t let them brown too much, since you will bake them later.
- Take cups out and set on paper towels to allow oil to drain off.
- Stuff each cup full with picadillo and top with shredded cheese.
- Preheat oven to 300°F
- Bake Stuffed Tostones for 20-30 min, until the tops are browning.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5-7 min before serving.
- Garnish with diced tomatoes or fresh cilantro.
How to Make Picadillo:
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- ¼ cup ready-made sofrito
- ½ cup diced onions
- ½ cup diced bell pepper (green and yellow or red)
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 recao leaves
- ¼ cup sliced olives
- 1 tbsp. capers
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz. tomato sauce
Cook the ground beef with sofrito, onions, peppers, cilantro, and recao until the meat is done.
Add the olives, capers, salt and pepper, and tomato sauce. Cook another 5 minutes or so to cook down any extra liquids. That’s it.
You can find this recipe on our Yummly Page as well. Hit the Yum Button so you can add it into your recipe box:
This article was written by Captain Tim and the Crew of Caribbean Trading Company.
Liked this stuffed tostones recipe? Join the Crew and Start the Journey! Connect with Us for News, Events, Lifestyle, and all things Caribbean by joining our Newsletter – Click Here to Join or find us on Facebook or Instagram.