There is no better way to ring in the summer time than serving typical Puerto Rico food at your next get-together. This light salad is a great way to cool down in the summer. This salad can be a main dish served with a fresh fruit salad or a side dish. Bacalao is a typical fish eaten in Puerto Rico, but it can be found in grocery stores around the United States. Your friends and family will be begging you for this recipe after they try the fresh ingredients in this typical Puerto Rican dish.
Ingredients Needed to Make Bacalao Salad:
- 2 lbs., dry/salted bacalao, desalted
- 4 white potatoes, boiled and cubed
- 1 large red onion, peeled and sliced into rings
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- ½ green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Spanish olives
- Garlic Powder
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp. of white vinegar
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, shelled cooled and sliced
- 1 small jar of red pimientos, sliced
- Rinse codfish under warm running water to rinse off excess salt.
- Then add to a pot of boiling water, let it boil for about 20 minutes or so.
- Drain the water, add fresh water and boil again.
- Drain and let it cool.
- Shred or pull apart into bite size pieces using your fingers.
- Set aside to let drain and cool.
- Boil the potatoes until soft, but not overcooked, cool and cut in large cubes.
- Boil the eggs, peel and slice for garnish.
- Place the fish in the salad bowl as the first layer.
- Add all other ingredients except for the olive oil, vinegar & hard boiled eggs.
- Then layer codfish and all other ingredients until there are no more ingredients.
- Season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Combine vinegar & olive and drizzle over the salad.
- Gently toss until all ingredients are well coated with the dressing.
- Add sliced boiled eggs, & garnish with red pimientos.
You can find this recipe on our Yummly Page as well. Hit the Yum Button so you can add it into your recipe box:
This article was written by Captain Tim and the Crew of Caribbean Trading Company.
Liked this Bacalao Salad recipe? Join the Crew and Start the Journey! Connect with Us for News, Events, Lifestyle, and all things Caribbean by joining our Newsletter – Click Here to Join or find us on Facebook or Instagram.