October 3rd is National Sandwich Day! We are celebrating with this awesome Churrasco Sandwich. I recently visited the Farmer’s Market in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico (every Saturday in the National Gallery Building on Norzagaray Street). While it is rather small, I did find a couple of things to get excited about…. Fresh made Goat Cheese and a nice thick artisan bread. I started wondering and thinking about what I could make that would highlight the flavors of the goat cheese and bread and incorporate Puerto Rican flavors…. I made this for dinner last night and it was excellent! Perfect as a lunch sandwich or a tasty dinner, and with a couple of adjustments would make and excellent appetizer. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon of Caribbean Trading’s Spicy Pepper Steak Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pound Churrasco steak (aka flank or skirt steak)
- Spinach Leaves – fresh
- 6 ounces goat cheese
- 1 Large Onion
- 1-loaf of thick bread, i.e. baguette or hearty grain.
Directions to Make the Churrasco Sandwich:
- In a resealable bag, mix together the Spicy Pepper Steak Seasoning, , olive oil, salt and pepper. Add the steak, seal bag and refrigerate up to overnight.
- To cook the flank steak, heat a grill pan over high heat. Grill the flank steak, turning once, about 8-10 minutes total for medium-rare. Let steak rest before slicing.
- Thinly slice the onion and cook over medium heat with a bit of olive oil until the onions are a nicely browned color.
- While the steak is resting, slice the bread and toast if you’d like.
- Slice the steak very thinly (as thin as you can) ACROSS the grain. Top each toast with spinach leaves, goat cheese, steak, and caramelized onions.
To turn this into an appetizer:
Slice the bread into 1 inch rounds and sprinkle a little olive oil and toast them into a Crostini and then add ingredients on top as explained above and serve as an appetizer.
Liked this article? Join the Crew and Start the Journey! Connect with Us for News, Events, Lifestyle, and all things Caribbean by joining our Newsletter – Click Here to Join or find us on Facebook or Instagram.