Conch is not just a fun musical instrument or decorative centerpiece, but a popular seafood staple in the islands. Whip up this creamy conch chowder made with Caribbean Trading’s Scotch Bonnet Passion Punch Crushed Pepper Sauce and impress your landlubbing friends with a taste of the islands.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 1 pound conch meat
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ fresh corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 14 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups fish stock
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoon Caribbean Trading’s Scotch Bonnet Passion Punch Crushed Pepper Sauce
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper
Directions to Make this Conch Chowder:
1. Cook conch meat in a pot of water for 15 minutes. Drain and finely chop.
2. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over low heat, and mix in all vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes.
3. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large pot, and whisk in flour. Add half-and-half, coconut milk, fish stock, ginger, conch, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes. Mix in hot sauce and cilantro 15 minutes prior to service.