The Pastelon is an excellent and tasty Puerto Rican Food recipe perfect for your next dinner. It is one of our favorites! It is a layered meat dish, reminiscent of lasagna, but instead of pasta, the starch used is ripe plantains. It is the perfect comfort food!
- 1 Lb of mature plantains fried (amarillos) – in some grocery stores you can find this already made in the freezer section
- 1 lb. Ground Meat
- 1 ½ cup grated cheese (mild cheddar and mozzarella)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup onion
- ½ Cup Sweet peppers (Aji Dulces)
- 2 Tbsp. of cilantro
- 1/4 cup of tomato
- ½ Cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. Olives with capers
- ½ cube of meat broth
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- Sautee the Ground Meat with the onions, sweet peppers, cilantro, tomato, olives with capers and the broth cube.
- The meat mixture may be prepared at the time or be leftovers from the meal of the day before.
- In a casserole dish, start layering the mature bananas, then meat, then cheese.
- Once you have finished the last layer of cheese; pour the mixture of egg and milk over the ingredients so they can adhere.
- Put in the oven at 400 ° F (200 ° C) for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
You can find this recipe on our Yummly Page as well. Hit the Yum Button so you can add it into your recipe box:
Liked this Pastelon recipe? Join the Crew and Start the Journey! Connect with Us for News, Events, Lifestyle, and all things Caribbean by joining our Newsletter – Click Here to Join or find us on Facebook or Instagram.