Let’s face it- making a hummus is a breeze! If you have a food processor or blender and the basic ingredients of chick peas and tahini, the possibilities of the different types of hummus are endless! It is a favorite of mine for lunch – putting it on a rice cake or pita bread makes for a light and healthy lunch or snack. But after many months, the basic plain or garlic hummus was beginning to bore, and that’s why we went with a Jalapeno Hummus version. It has a little bit of a kick – enough to give you the heat and flavor, but not enough to turn your ears red. If you are looking for that kind of heat, consider adding in some hot sauces that use a pepper with a higher Scoville rating. Here is the recipe:
Ingredients Needed for this Jalapeno Hummus:
- 1 can garbanzo beans/chickpeas (15 oz), drained
- 1 tablespoon of Caribbean Trading’s Walk the Plank Jalapeno Crushed Pepper Sauce
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a food processor, blend the beans, garlic, jalapeno pepper sauce, and olive oil.
- Add lemon, tahini, and salt and blend well. Hummus should be smooth and creamy.
- Place in bowl and serve with veggies, pita bread, or rice cakes at room temperature.
- You can also refrigerate and store for about a week.