This yummy light and fresh salad is gluten-free and dairy free and is the perfect side dish. It is also great as a main dish, particularly on a sultry summer day. I found this recipe via Smitten Kitchen and I had to try it out as avocados are a staple here in the Caribbean. By the end of avocado season, we are always struggling to find new ways to use it!
According to the author, you can make adjustments to it…. I usually add tomatoes to the mix. Various alternate suggestions include: If you’re not into lime and cilantro or parsley, try lemon and dill. If you’re not into mayo, try using yogurt. Or, skip the creamy dressing entirely. You could make a Tex-Mexish variation with minced jalapeno, olive oil and ground cumin, or a Japanese-ish version with a dressing of toasted sesame oil, miso, rice vinegar, ginger and garnished with toasted black and/or white sesame seeds.
Here is our Caribbean version or the Avocado Cucumber Salad. I found that the use of the hot sauce adds a small kick to the salad with a punch of flavor and really highlights the flavors of the dish.
Serves: 2 as a main or 4 as a side
Ingredients to make the avocado cucumber salad:
- 3/4 to 1 pound seedless cucumber, washed and chopped into chunks
- 2 thin or 1 regular scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 large avocado, pitted and diced
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Juice of half a lime, plus more to taste
- Sea Salt, to taste
- 1 tsp. of Caribbean Trading’s Fire Roasted Garlic Habanero Crushed Pepper Sauce.
- Chopped cilantro or flat-leaf parsley to garnish
- Combine cucumber, scallions and avocado in a bowl.
- Whisk together mayo, lime and seasonings, adjusting levels to taste.
- Drizzle salad with dressing and garnish with cilantro or parsley. Repeat again tomorrow.
Liked this recipe? Join the Crew and Start the Journey! Connect with Us for News, Events, Lifestyle, and all things Caribbean by joining our Newsletter – Click Here to Join or find us on Facebook or Instagram.