Tostones are one of the most popular ways to prepare plantain bananas, a staple of the Caribbean diet. Add some of our tropical salsa for a sweet combination.
Ingredients Needed for Tostones:
What to do:
- Heat your veggie oil – you want enough to almost cover the plantains.
- Peel plantains and cut into slices, about 1 inch thick.
- Fry your cut plantains on each side until slightly browned. You know they are done when you can get a fork in them. Drain on paper towels.
- Smash with a mallet
- Quickly soak them in a mixture of water and adobo seasoning. This will make them more flavorful and extra crispy on the outside and moist on the inside.
- Fry again for another 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. They will be done when you tap them with a fork and fork does not enter.
- Drain and season with some salt.
- If you are going to top your tostones with a bit of the salsa, only serve immediately after topping them – you don’t want to make them soggy! Otherwise, put tostones out for guests to dip into the salsa themselves.