Tostones are one of the most popular ways to prepare plantain bananas, a staple of the Caribbean diet. Add some of our tropical salsa for a sweet combination.
- 2 Green Plantains
- veggie oil
- Island Fever Salsa
What to do:
- Heat your veggie oil – you want enough to almost cover the plantains.
- Peel plantains and cut into slices, about 1 inch thick.
- Fry your cut plantains once for about 2-3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Smash with a mallet and then fry again for another 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Drain and season with some salt.
- If you are going to top your tostones with a bit of the salsa, only serve immediately after topping them – you don’t want to make them soggy! Otherwise, put tostones out for guests to dip into the salsa themselves.