For this punch-like take on the caipirinha, Cantina uses a Cabernet blended with a good amount of spicy Syrah. It offers a nice blend of a sangria type drink with a shot of sugar. This recipe came from Cocktails 2008 via foodandwine.com. Caipirinha is Brazil’s national cocktail, made with cachaça, sugar, and lime where the sugar and lime is mixed together and then the cachaca is added. So this is a very forward mix of a traditional caipirinha and a sangria.
SERVINGS: Makes 6 drinks
Ingredients Needed for this Caipirinha Recipe:
- 24 blackberries
- 4 ounces Simple Syrup
- 12 ounces cachaça (potent Brazilian sugarcane spirit)
- 4 ounces Cabernet Sauvignon (or a Shiraz blend)
- 8 ounces fresh orange juice
- 2 ounces fresh lime juice
- 6 orange wheels
- 6 lime wheels
- Lime Cane Sugar for glass rimming
- In a pitcher, muddle 12 of the blackberries with the Simple Syrup.
- Add the cachaça, Cabernet and the orange and lime juices and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour.
- Stir well and strain the drink into ice-filled white wine glasses.
- Garnish with the remaining 12 blackberries and the lime and orange wheels. You can rim the glass with Lime Cane Sugar also