Rum Balls are an excellent treat to bring to your next holiday party or cookie swap. Full of Rum and chocolate-y goodness, these decadent treats almost have a truffle feel to them and are sure to wow your guests. They are a favorite down here in the Caribbean – after all, the rum is flowing and we like to incorporate it into anything we can!
This is an extremely easy rum balls recipe – no baking is involved! Also, there are many ways to change out ingredients and make various substitutions and variations to make this recipe all your own.
- Chocolate Wafers: Vanilla Wafers or Graham Crackers
- Chocolate: Mint Chocolate
- Dark Rum: any rum! Consider a spiced or a flavored rum
- Walnuts: Pecans or Macadamias
- Garnish of Sugar and Cocoa: Coconut, Sprinkles, Toasted Coconut, etc.
Directions to Make this Rum Balls Recipe:
- In a food processor, combine walnuts, wafers, chocolate, and 1 cup of the powdered sugar. Pulse until well-blended.
- Add rum and vanilla extract until a soft dough forms. Combine the remaining powdered sugar and cocoa powder (or coconut) and roll the dough into one inch balls and roll in the micture.
- Place the balls in a container for 24 hours and then roll them again. Store in the refrigerator.
Pair this decadent treat with some authentic gourmet Puerto Rican coffee for a sweet ending to any meal: