Olive oil cakes are a new concept to me… but when we developed all of the awesome flavored olive oils we just had to try it in as many ways as possible. The blood orange of the olive oil really shines in this recipe!
Ingredients to Make the Blood Orange Olive Oil Cake:
- Butter for greasing pan
- 3 blood oranges
- 1 cup (200 grams or 7 ounces) Cane Sugar
- Scant 1/2 cup (118 ml) buttermilk or plain yogurt
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup (156 ml) Blood Orange Natural Flavor Infused Olive Oil
- 1 3/4 cups (219 grams or 7 3/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (8 grams) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Flavored whipped cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Grate zest from 2 oranges and place in a bowl with sugar. Fluff together lightly with a fork until orange zest is evenly distributed in sugar.
- Supreme two blood oranges: Cut off bottom and top so fruit is exposed and orange can stand upright on a cutting board. Cut away peel and pith, following curve of fruit with your knife.
- Cut orange segments out of their connective membranes. Cut individual segments into 1/4-inch pieces.
- Halve remaining orange and squeeze juice into a measuring cup; you’ll have about 1/4 cup. Add buttermilk or yogurt to juice until you have 2/3 cup liquid altogether.
- Pour mixture into bowl with sugar and whisk well. Whisk in eggs and olive oil.
- Measure the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a sifter and gradually sift the dry ingredients into wet ones. Gently fold in pieces of orange segments.
- Fold in pieces of orange segments. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake cake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until it is golden and a knife inserted into center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes, then unmold and cool to room temperature right-side up
You can find this recipe on our Yummly Page as well. Hit the Yum Button so you can add it into your recipe box: