Step One: Prepping the Chicken
- Caribbean Trading Company Gourmet Puerto Rican Adobo Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons kosher sea salt
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 4 chicken thighs, with skin, cut in half
- 4 chicken breasts, with skin, cut in half lengthwise
Mix together the salt, garlic, cumin, paprika, black pepper, turmeric and oregano in a small bowl. Season both sides of the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and then season with the Caribbean Trading Company Gourmet Puerto Rican Adobo Seasoning.
Step Two: Cooking the Chicken
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Chicken portions prepped in step one
Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large cast iron pot over high heat. Place the chicken in the oil skin side down and sauté until golden brown. Turn the chicken over and cook until the second side is golden brown. Transfer the chicken to into a separate pot with all cooking juices, cover and allow to cook through over medium heat. Keep warm.
Step Three: Bringing it all together
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, finely diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 to 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
- 3 cups long-grain rice
- 4 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen peas
Place the browning pan with 2 tablespoons oil back over high heat. Add the onions, green and red peppers and cook until soft. Add the plum tomatoes, garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add the rice to the pan, stir to coat the rice in the mixture and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock, bay leaf, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Stir well, cover, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes add the frozen peas (not thawed) to the pot, cover and continue cooking until the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
Step Four: Finishing Touches
- 3/4 cup pimento stuffed green olives
- Freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- Freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Squeeze lime juice
Remove the pot from the heat and let sit 5 minutes covered. Remove the lid, fluff the rice and gently fold in the olives, cilantro, parsley, oregano and squeeze of lime juice. Add the chicken and stir to combine.
You can find this recipe on our Yummly Page as well. Hit the Yum Button so you can add it into your recipe box:
Looking to add a bit of Caribbean flair to your life? Check out our online shop for gourmet hot sauces, seasonings and other Caribbean treats and Caribbean bath and body items.
Liked this article? Join the Crew and Start the Journey! Connect with Us for News, Events, Lifestyle, and all things Caribbean by joining our Newsletter – Click Here to Join or find us on Facebook or Instagram.