Until recently, candles were made with paraffin. However, with the advent of soy wax in the last decade or so, there are many more options available for candles. When we began working on having our own handmade candles, we did a lot of research and decided that it was important to have a 100% soy wax candle. You can find our listing of available soy candles here.
It can be confusing, so here is why you should care:
Why Soy wax candles are better than Paraffin:
- No carcinogens are produced from burning soy wax.
- Soy wax is non-toxic.
- Little or no soot is produced from burning soy wax.
- Soy wax will not discolor your walls or furniture with petroleum byproducts.
- Soy wax is a renewable resource; petroleum is limited.
- Soy wax is biodegradable.
- Soy wax is water-soluble (no more messy cleanups).
- Burning soy wax candles helps support the American farmer.
- Soy wax holds color and scent better than paraffin.
- Soy wax burns 30% to 50% longer than paraffin.
Why is Paraffin Wax Bad?
There are three main reasons many people avoid buying petroleum (paraffin) products:
- Petroleum smoke/exhaust contains many carcinogenic toxins and produces ugly black soot. Paraffin candles contain up to 11 carcinogenic compounds. These 11 compounds have been deemed ‘toxic air contaminants’ by the State of California.
- Petroleum is not a renewable resource and it is of a limited supply
- Burning petroleum products creates air pollution and contributes to global warming