Who doesn’t love a good factoid? Here are some of our favorites about rum, liquor and anything drinking-related Puerto Rico. If we missed one please comment and let us know!
- Puerto Rico’s drinking age is 18. Drinking culture in Puerto Rico is more relaxed and not as strict as the United States.
- Rum is the national drink, and you can buy it in almost any shade. Puerto Rico is the world’s leading rum producer; 80% of the rum consumed in the United States hails from the island.
- The famous Pina Colada was founded in Puerto Rico. There is some argument about whether it was the Caribe Hilton or Barrachina restaurant, but either way for sure – it was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico – and then took over the world from there!
- Our beer cans come in 10oz. Why? Some say it is so that your drink stays cooler because you finish it faster.
- Puerto Rico makes a form of uncured rum called Pitorro which is our version of Moonshine. It is infused with fruits for months and is particularly popular during the holidays.
You can purchase an artisan version of Pitorro and all of the best Puerto Rican rums at our stores in Rincon and Rio Grande.