No products in the cart.
We are in full avocado season down here in the Caribbean and are always looking for great new recipes to serve it up. After all, there is only so much guacamole one can eat!
If you love the spiciness of jerk seasoning and can’t get enough fresh avocado, you will really like this recipe. This salad brings the best of the Caribbean to you with the flavors of jerk, lime and rum. Perfect as a stand-alone meal and great for weekend barbecues. Pair it with a rum cocktail for a complete meal!
- 1- 2 kg boneless chicken chunks
- 2 tsps. Caribbean Trading Lime Jerk seasoning
- 1/4 cup Bacardi Rum
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 2 ripe avocados, cubed or halved
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 yellow and 1 red sweet pepper, sliced
- assorted lettuce leaves
For Vinaigrette Dressing:
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup of oil
- Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- Marinate chicken in jerk seasoning, rum and lime juice.
- Bake at 350 F for 10-15 minutes.
- Assemble the salad– finishing off with the cubed avocado and chicken.
Avocados are an excellent source of healthy fats and are particularly beneficial if cutting down on protein and carbohydrate intakes. They are a good source of fiber and potassium and Vitamins E and B. This meal hits all the right notes for a healthy and locally sourced meal.
How to Peel an Avocado:
To preserve the area with the greatest concentration of antioxidants, you basically want to peel the avocado with your hands, as you would a banana:
1. First, cut the avocado length-wise, around the seed.
2. Holding each half, twist them in the opposite directions to separate them from the seed.
3. Remove the seed.
4. Cut each half, lengthwise.
5. Next, using your thumb and index finger, simply peel the skin off each piece.
**Tip: if you are only going to use half of the avocado, store the other half in the fridge with the seed still in it- this will extend the life of your avocado.